I have long been a fan of Rachael Ray. I love her 30 Minute Meals, have all of her cookbooks, and adore her charismatic TV shows. Imagine how excited I was when I found out that Rachael Ray had come out with her own line of cooking products. Not only are her products high quality, but they are also aesthetically pleasing. The 10-Piece Birchwood Knife Block Set is no exception when it comes to these traits.
How to Choose a Great Knife Set
There are certain elements you should look for when trying to find the right knife set for you.
- The highest quality knives are made of high carbon stainless steel, an alloy of metals that contain an amount of carbon. This keeps the knives strong and resistant to rust and corrosion.
- You need to consider the tang, which is the part of the blade that extends into the grip. This makes the blade stronger.
- Tapered blade edges allow for easy sharpening.
- The knives should be balanced and feel comfortable and solid in your hand.
This Rachael Ray from Füri knife set includes all of these qualities and more, including a revolutionary and patented grip that keeps wet hands from slipping and prevents injury.
What Qualities Does the Birchwood Knife Set Possess?
The blade is made from fine German stainless steel. It is hand forged and has a strong tang for strength. The core of the handle is made from polypropylene and coated with thermoplastic elastomer, which allows for a safe and comfortable grip. The knives have a counterweight at the end for balance, but these can be shaved off as the knife loses mass due to sharpening.
Füri also has a patented “reverse wedge” shape on the knives. This prevents slippage when your hands are wet or oily. It also allows the ergonomic handle to lock into your hand when making hard cuts.
Füri Revered by Professional Chefs
Leading chefs have called Füri revolutionary. The company, Füritechnics, is an Australian developer and manufacturer that goes by the simply abbreviated Füri. Rachael Ray chose to endorse them and have them manufacture her line of merchandise because of their superior quality and craftsmanship.
What is Included in the Set
The Rachael Ray Birchwood Knife Block Set has a variety of almost every kitchen knife you could ever need. The set includes ten pieces that consist of the following:
- 8-inch Cook’s Knife–classic knife with strong blade for chopping vegetables or cutting meats
- 8-inch Bread Knife–rounded tooth for easy slicing of tough breads
- 8-inch Carving Knife–has exact amount of stiffness for a safe and straight cut of large pieces of meat
- 7-inch Edgy Santoku Knife–exceptionally sharp and thin with friction-reducing scalloped edge
- 6-inch Serrated Utility Knife–all-around usage for slicing
- 5-inch Boning Knife–use to remove meat from bones
- Poultry and Fish Shears–for cutting through small bones, fins, and feathers
- Birchwood Block–minimizes damage and hygiene issues.
Some Important Features
- Hygiene: The hollow Birchwood block reduces the potential for build-up of grime. There is a removable base for easy access for cleaning.
- Durability: The knives are made of the finest high carbon stainless steel, making them stronger and allowing them to hold their sharp edge longer.
- Comfort: The handles’ ergonomic design allows for easy grip. Füri’s patented “reverse wedge” design and synthetic rubber coating make the knife comfortable to hold and use.
- Sharpening Ability: Easily sharpened with the right tools. Make sure to maintain the condition of your knife by using a honing steel with each use.
Why is The Birchwood Block So Great for Hygiene?
Most knife blocks are one solid piece with very thin slots, which does not allow for easy cleaning. Bits of grime get inside those tiny slots, and germs can grow inside. The Birchwood Block is hollow, so the chances for the build-up of grime are greatly reduced. Since the base is removable, you have easy access to the inside of the block for cleaning. The block is also a space-saver; it is designed to rest against a side wall to save counter space for food preparation.
A Word from Rachael Ray about Her Knives
Rachael chimes in on the why she went with Füri to manufacture her personal brand of knives:
“Füri already made such legendary knives, and I wanted to add one final touch: a super-grippy and comfy handle. For such a serious knife, with all the Füri technology, the price is also great value for the gourmet home cook or chef.”
What Others Are Saying
This set has an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars on Cooking.com. Here’s what reviewers are saying about the Birchwood Knife Block Set:
“Very sharp knives with a great variety”
“Definitely a great buy”
“Thrilled with performance, quality, modern look, and great balance of the handles”
“Surpassed my expectations”
“Highly recommend to all who cook”
“Worth the money”
The only complaint I found was that some people were not very happy with the design of the block. Some people found that it was a bit wobbly. The design, however, is meant to rest against a wall to save counter space. Another complaint is rusting of the knives, but as long as you hand wash them and don’t put them in the dishwasher, this should not be an issue.
Does It Have a Warranty?
Yes, the Birchwood Knife Block Set has a lifetime warranty.
How Much Will This Set Cost?
The suggested retail price of the Rachael Ray Birchwood Knife Block Set is $250. However, you can find it for around $199.95.
Where Should You Buy the Rachael Ray Birchwood Knife Block Set?
The Birchwood Knife Block Set can be purchased at Amazon.com or Cooking.com, both of which seem to have the lowest prices around.
|Check Amazon - Rachael Ray Furi Birchwood Block 10-Piece Knife Set|
Rachael Ray from Furi 10-pc. Rachael Ray Essentials Knife Block Set